Centre of Endocrinology is one of the major endocrinology sites in Lithuania where modern and innovative laboratory, imaging and genetic technologies are applied for the diagnosis and treatment of endocrine diseases.
The Centre of Endocrinology consists of:
- Division of Endocrinology
- Endocrinology Outpatient Clinic includes:
- Diabetic Foot Care Room
- Diabetes School
- Ultrasound Room
Division of Endocrinology
Head of the Division is Assoc. Prof. Ž. Visockienė. The Division of Endocrinology currently has 30 beds which are designed for patients with various endocrine diseases. Patients suffering from diabetes, various thyroid, pituitary, adrenal, parathyroid and numerous rare endocrine diseases are examined and provided treatment accordingly. The Division has private wards (of increased comfort). Doctors endocrinologists work together with diabetes nurse, 10nurses and 4 nurse assistants who are guided by senior nursing administrator V. Senavaitiene.
Endocrinology Outpatient Clinic
The responsible senior doctor endocrinologist is R. Žiukaitė. Patients with various common and rare endocrine diseases from all over the country are consulted and treated at the Outpatient Clinic using modern diagnostic procedures and therapeutic approaches. Thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal ultrasounds, ultrasound-guided thyroid biopsies are performed and assessed. Doctors from all over the country can refer patients to the Clinic for the endocrinologist’s consultation.
We run clinics for patients with:
- Gestational diabetes mellitus
- Adrenal diseases
- Thyroid cancer
- Pituitary diseases
- Rare endocrine diseases – multidisciplinary team consilium.
Diabetic Foot Care Room
Patients visit the Diabetic Foot Care Room to receive preventive and urgent treatment of the diabetic foot. Multidisciplinary team consisting of endocrinologist, diabetes nurse, traumatologist and vascular surgeon takes care of complicated diabetic foot and foot ulcer cases.
Diabetes nurses G. Milošienė and B. Šepetienė individually meets with patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes and gestational diabetes and gives them consultations on an adequate diet, insulin and other injectable antidiabetic drug injection technique, insulin dose adjustment, hypoglycaemia recognition and self-help, monitoring and prevention of acute and chronic diabetic complications.
Doctors R. Laukienė and V. Dunauskas perform thyroid, parathyroid gland and neck lymph node ultrasound examination. In case of suspicious findings an ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration biopsy is performed in order to differentiate between benign and malignant thyroid diseases.
Endocrine diseases diagnosed and treated:
- Diabetes mellitus
- Gestational diabetes
- Chronic complications of diabetes
- Thyroid diseases
- Endocrine ophthalmopathy
- Parathyroid diseases
- Adrenal diseases
- Pituitary and hypothalamic diseases
- Rare endocrine diseases
Tests and treatment procedures:
- Thyroid, neck lymph node, parathyroid gland ultrasound
- Ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodules and cervical lymph nodes
- Dinamic testing (including dexamethasone suppression, fasting, fluid deprivation, growth hormone stimulation, Synacten, intravenous saline infusion, captopril suppression tests)
- Adrenal vein sampling
- Sinus pertosus sampling
- Insulin pump and continous glucose monitoring system settings
- Professional pedicure provided by diabetes nurse
- Treatment of diabetic foot ulcers
- Risk of diabetes amongst women with gestational diabetes (DIARIND). 2018-2034. Principal investigator Assoc. prof. Ž. Visockienė
- Long-term follow-up of patients with endocrine diseases. 2018-2030. Principal investigator R. Laukienė
- Influence of genetic, epigenetic and lifestyle on the development of diabetes complications. 2019-2032. Principal investigator Assoc. prof. Ž. Visockienė